How to Grow Blue Dream Strain
Blue Dream- a classic strain known to captivate you with her sweet inviting smell. If you choose to have this girl in your garden, be prepared to get intimate with her through lots training and topping, otherwise you’ll find yourself looking up at her canopy.
She’s considerate and forgiving to any newcomers; this stable favorite has grabbed many first time growers’ hand and guided them through a high yielding harvest with a ridiculously large margin for error. Whether she was the first or somewhere down the line, this short-flowering sativa can easily find a permanent home in any garden and if you’re nodding your head, she probably already has.
Characteristics of Blue Dream Strain
80% Sativa 20% Indica
ORIGIN: beach community of Santa Cruz, California
LINEAGE: DJ Short’s Blueberry X Mr. Nice’s Super Silver Haze
MEDICAL USE: Daytime high–relaxing but not sedating/ cerebral sativa effect with indica guided body high
Blue Dream Garden Behavior
Blue Dream is notoriously known for her sweet blueberry smell and toppling dense nug structures. She’s a heavy yielder without instructions needed, rooting fast when cloned and remaining quite flexible when feeding. My particular pheno was able to take anything I threw at her. She took heavy nitrogen feedings like a champ, but she never seemed content with enough magnesium so I always added extra Cal-Mag to her feed bucket.
When conversing with other growers who have farmed this gal in their stable, she tends to carry the same mannerisms with everyone, even under different conditions.
How to Grow Blue Dream Strain Indoors
When growing this strain indoors there are a few things to consider: sativa, sativa, sativa. Even with her harvest time cut short, you know sativas-taking forever to finish flowering, she can still stretch like one. Grower @frosty_the_budman was kind enough to share his experience with Blue Dreams’ stretch:
“Can’t keep her under 6ft, even when topped aggressively”
I also asked @mrspliffofcannabis to enlighten me on his cut of the clone-only Santa Cruz Blue Dream. This girl has been in his stable for 4 years and is “never leaving.” He has only grown her indoors.
Blue Dream Strain Indoor Growing Tips, provided by @mrspliffofcannabis:
- early topping and aggressive tying are necessary
- proper staking at week 2 will allow the plant to really thrive
- responds really well to stripping and training
- bit taller than most but easy to handle
- large node spacing with heavy set flowers
- grenade like top colas
- harvest= 8-9 weeks
- heaviest eating plant I have ever grown
- never seen deficiencies other than N towards weeks 6-7 bloom
- most aromatic smoke on earth
- haze/musk aroma with light hints of blueberry and cinnamon
How to Grow Blue Dream Strain Outdoors
I personally have never seen Blue Dream in an environment outside of a tent, but I can only imagine the surrounding atmosphere of an outdoor crop being directly affected by the pungent aromas of musky blue-jolly-ranchers. For this reason I consulted a grower who lets his plants dance under SoCal sunshine–@ggreenbeard.
So, what are her likes, @ggreenbeard?
- drinks tons of water and can handle heavy feedings
- responds well to topping/ fimming with quick recovery
- Nitrogen thirsty
- extreme heat
Does she have any notable particularities?
- lots of lateral branching
- nodes stack tight
- pre-flowers for 2-3 weeks before chunking up
Have you encountered any setbacks when growing her under harsher conditions outdoors?
- she has an overall weak structure and needs support throughout veg and flower–high winds can damage entire limbs. Although stems beef up during weeks 3-4 of flower, it is not enough to carry the weight of such huge, dense colas.
- Caterpillars love her, because of the sweet smell she emits
sidenote: Blue Dream is susceptible to spider mites
I would bet caterpillars and most other pests would love to get some sweet Blue Dream.
This strain has shown nothing but love to growers who’ve met her, which is why she continues to be a classic amongst many. Much thanks to those who shared their experiences on how to grow Blue Dream strain and once again I hope this helped! Happy farming.